How to Stimulate the Ego to Eco Shift in Sustainability?
For this we need to go inside ourselves and find what is talking to us: our inner higher selves, or our ego (destructive-inner child)? If the ego is talking, then we should go against it, contra-behaviour, that is called in psychology. If for example I want to buy candy, and my inner ego/inner child is crying for it, I should stop, think twice, and do something else instead, for example, buying a healthy smoothie: also sweet, but healthy. The same accounts for Sustainability: we want a steak: we know its bad for not only our health, but also for animals and the environment. So, we don’t eat a steak everyday, but instead, we eat tofu. So if the Eco is talking, we make decisions out of care for ourselves, others, nature, animals, and the future. Equality between humans and nature.
Important to mention is that there is the ´Healthy Ego/Eco´ and the ´Destructive-Inner child Ego´. We aim here for the healthy one, which is based on healthy self-esteem, inner purpose and drive, and respect, care and equality for oneself, each other and nature.
As you can see, it has a lot to do with raising our inner ego/inner child, towards a more adult one, where play is still possible, but in a conscious and morally accepted way.
So how can YOU this in practice? How to shift Your own Ego to Eco? I will ask you 7 questions on how to get there:
- Reflect, reflect reflect: Become aware of yourself. Find a problem/behaviour/aspect in your life where you know this is an Ego thing. Eg. More money, bigger house, etc.
- Analyze 1: Without judgment. Why is this appealing to you? What makes it ´tasty´? What makes it interesting?
- Analyze 2: Now, what would happen if you don’t get it? Would you loose something? Your ego? Or more? Or would you be happier? Without?
- Substitute: What can you substitute for it instead? Which makes you even happier? What would you do out of Eco instead of the Ego? What would it benefit you? What would it benefit others? What would it benefit the world? Earth? Future generations?
- Decision: Knowing steps 1 to 4, what would your decision be about your problem/behaviour/etc?
- Reflect on this exercise: What would you from now on change in your behaviour in current and future scenarios at work, at home, at anywhere?
- Practice: Now, put this insight into practice, act out of Eco, and inspire others along the way.
As far as the bigger picture goes: as long as you, as an individual, make conscious choices out of Eco and not out of Ego, things will trickle down to society and the economic system. Especially if you put this insight into practice at work, at daily life choices, shopping, travel, and so on. Best scenario would even be to make it a priority and your job focus as well, but that might be a step to far right now. Let´s just start with small, and individual first.
That’s it. Now if you have any questions, please don´t hesitate to ask me and I´m also willing to give you the first session Ego to Eco Sustainability Coaching for free even if you are ´fortunate´.
Picture: The Nature of Business